How to Start an Engineering Consulting Firm
- Course Number: B1002
- Credits: 4 hours
- Instructor: Ellen Huang, PE
- Price: $40
To create a successful business it is not only about what you do (technical execution), it is also about how you adapt to the business world. This course will give you a foundational knowledge on how to start your own business, with a focus on engineering consulting businesses. You will learn the nature of entrepreneurship, the sources of early-stage financing, the opportunities for women and minorities, the advantages and disadvantages of business ownership, and the importance of small business to the U.S. economy. In addition, you will learn how to market your consulting practice, how to negotiate the consulting contract, and how to grow and sell your consulting practice. You will also learn why some businesses fail and where to get help.
At the conclusion of this course, the student will:
- Be able to define a small business and explain the importance of small businesses to the U.S. economy;
- Be able to identify five potential advantages to starting your own business;
- Be able to describe the goods-producing and service-producing sectors of an economy;
- Be able to deal with zoning and other legal and tax issues; and
- Be able to learn how to set up your practice properly.