The Big Dig (Live Webinar)
- Course Number: C1042W
- Credits: 2 hours
- Instructor: Ellen Huang, PE
- Price: $60
Boston’s Central Artery/Tunnel Project, commonly known as the Big Dig, was the largest, most complex, and most technically challenging highway project in American history. Larger than the Panama Canal, the Hoover Dam, and the Alaska Pipeline projects, it was built through the heart of one of the nation’s oldest cities. In this webinar, we will learn the history and background of the Big Dig project and examine its two major components: the replacement of Boston's deteriorating six-lane elevated Central Artery (I-93) with an underground highway and the I-90 extension to Boston's Logan Airport. In addition, we will explore some of the engineering challenges and failures encountered during the Big Dig.
The next webinar session will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 24 , 2021 from 7:00 am - 8:50 pm ET.
Please use the webinar link below to join the session: https://zoom.us/j/179890240
At the conclusion of this course, the student will:
- Understand the complexity of the Big Dig;
- Identify the major components of the project;
- Know the design and construction risks associated with such a mega project; and
- Learn from the Big Dig about the value of partnering and project integration.