Horizontal and Vertical Curves
- Course Number: L1011
- Credits: 4 hours
- Instructor: Ellen Huang, PE
- Price: $40
Horizontal and vertical curves are two important transition elements in geometric design for roadways. This course describes deflections angles, Point of Curvature, Point of Tangency, Point of Intersection, Middle ordinate, long and short chord lengths, tangent offsets, and maximum grades. The course materials are based on “Chapter 3 – Horizontal and Vertical Curves” in NAVEDTRA 14336A - US Navy Engineering Aid Advanced and a few related video lectures on YouTube. The multiple-choice quiz at the end is designed to help students demonstrate understanding of the layout of horizontal and vertical curves.
At the conclusion of this course, the student will:
- Be able to analyze curve setup data from design information;
- Be able to determine deflections angles, Point of Curvature, Point of Tangency and Point of Intersection;
- Be able to calculated the highest and lowest points of a vertical curve; and
- Be able to perform field layouts of horizontal and vertical curves using standard surveying instruments.