Introduction to Mechanics of Materials
- Course Number: M1010
- Credits: 8 hours
- Instructor: Ellen Huang, PE
- Price: $80
Mechanics of materials deals with the behavior of solid objects subject to stresses and strains. This course introduces students to the basics of strength of materials. Topics include: loading; axial, shear, bearing and bending stresses; shear force and bending moment; torsion; deflection of beams; temperature effects; statically indeterminate structures; and buckling of columns.
At the conclusion of this course, the student will:
- Understand fundamental concepts of stress, strain and elastic behavior of materials;
- Know the basic assumptions used in mechanics of materials;
- Analyze structural members subjected to tension, compression, torsion, bending and combined stresses; and
- Design structures or machine parts in accordance with strength of materials.