- Course Number: S1011
- Credits: 10 hours
- Instructor: Helen Chen, Ph.D., PE
- Price: $100
Retaining walls have been widely used in construction industries, from residential construction to highway projects. They are used to provide support for vertical or near-vertical grade changes and to prevent soil movement or erosion. This course describes various types of retaining walls and provides structural analysis guidelines for gravity walls, non-gravity cantilevered walls, anchored walls, mechanically stabilized earth (MSE) walls, and prefabricated modular walls. In addition, it lists the necessary elements of the subsurface exploration and testing programs before the wall design and construction.
At the conclusion of this course, the student will:
- The various types of retaining walls;
- The factors of safety for retaining wall design;
- How to calculate the pressure acting on the wall and its base; and
- The appropriate design method for retaining walls.