Introduction to Structural Mechanics
- Course Number: S1014
- Credits: 8 hours
- Instructor: Hong Chen, Ph.D., PE
- Price: $80
This course covers the fundamental concepts of structural mechanics with real world applications. Topics include analysis of small deflections of beams, columns, cables, and shafts; statically indeterminate structures; elastic buckling of columns; exact and approximate methods. We will include examples from civil and mechanical structures.
At the conclusion of this course, the student will:
- Understand the basic analysis and design concept;
- Know the basic assumptions used in structural mechanics;
- Analyze structural members subjected to tension, compression, torsion, bending and combined stresses;
- Design structures or machine parts in accordance with strength of materials.